Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I get a visa to visit the United States?

A: If you wish to visit the U.S. for a temporary period of time, you may enter the U.S. as a visitor for business with a B-1 visa or as a visitor for pleasure with a B-2 visa.

Q: How can I study in the United States?

A: You can enter the U.S. as a full-time student with the F-1 Academic Student visa or M-1 Vocational or Other Nonacademic Student visa.

Q: How do I become an Exchange Visitor?

A: The J visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, and the Q visa is for international cultural exchange programs designated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Q: How can I work in the United States?

A: Internationally acclaimed and renowned scientists, educators, artists, business people and athletes; Company executives, and managers with specialized knowledge; Professionals who possess a bachelor's degree or higher; Nurses; Agricultural workers; Seasonal Skilled or Unskilled Worker; Management trainees; Entertainment groups; Athletes; and Religious workers - can come to the U.S. as nonimmigrant temporary workers.

Q: How can I migrate to the US as an immigrant worker?

A: Immigrant/Legal Permanent Residence status may be granted based on employment skills, and immigrant visas are available if you qualify under the employment-based preference categories.

Q: How can I migrate to the US as a family member?

A: Only the spouses, minor children under 21 years old and parents of U.S. Citizens are immediately entitled to immigrant visas upon the approval of relative petitions on their behalf. Other relatives must wait for available visa.

Q: I was married in the Philippines and I am now separated from my husband. I would now like to get married to a US citizen here in the US. Do I need to get a divorce here in the United States before I get married here in the US?

A: Yes, you need to obtain a divorce or annulment if your Philippine marriage has not been terminated. If you get married before having your Philippine marriage terminated, your subsequent marriage will be considered a bigamous marriage.

Q: Can I file for a divorce here in the United States even if I was married in the Philippines and my husband does not reside in the United States?

A: Yes, you can file for a divorce here in the United States so long as you meet the jurisdictional requirements in your state.

Q: I have been residing in California and I want to get a divorce. Can I file my divorce in Reno, Nevada because the process in getting a divorce would be a lot faster?

A: If you are a resident of California, you cannot file for a divorce in Nevada until you have met the jurisdictional requirements in that state. Moreover, if you file for an application for adjustment of Status with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the USCIS may require you to show proof that you have resided in Nevada prior to the filing of your Nevada divorce.

Q: I recently got my green card through my employer. I would now like to bring my family here to the United States. Should I file an immigrant petition for them?

A: No. You don't have to file for a separate immigrant petition for them. You can bring them here by requesting for the registration of your family as derivative beneficiaries.

Q: I am a US citizen and I would like to bring my girlfriend here. How can I bring her to the United States?

A: You can file for a fiancÚ petition for your girlfriend. You may want to check the current processing times for an immigrant petition so you can decide whether to bring her in as a fiancÚ or as an immediate relative.

Q: My Conditional Resident Status has expired. However, my husband and I completely forgot to file for a joint petition to remove conditions on residence. Can we still file even though my CR status has been terminated?

A: Yes, you can still file the petition to remove conditions on residence but you need to explain why you did not file before the expiration of your CR status.

Q: I am now in removal proceedings. However, I am married to a US citizen. Where should I file my application for adjustment of status?

A: You need to file your application for adjustment of status in immigration court.

Q: I was married in the Philippines but I have been separated with my husband for 10 years now. Since there is no divorce in the Philippines, I filed for a presumption of death petition. Can I use the Decision in the presumption of death petition to show that my Philippine marriage has been terminated?

A: If your husband is still alive, we cannot use this Decision to show that your Philippine marriage has been terminated. You need to file for a divorce here in the US or a Petition for Annulment in the Philippines based on Article 36 of the Philippine Family Code.

Home |  About Us |  Overview |  FAQs |  Articles |  Visa Bulletin |  Case Status |  Contact Us |